Utility customers nationwide have been receiving scam phone calls that state their power is being turned off for a past due bill and demanding the customer to make payment immediately.
Tips to follow:
- Do not call the number the caller provides. Hang up and dial 904-247-6241.
- Do not send any money. Try to get the caller's name/phone number and other related information.
- Contact Beaches Energy Services immediately if you have any questions regarding your utility bill and payment at 904-247-6241.
- Report scam phone calls to your local police department.
Beaches Energy Services wants to make customers aware of scams that frequently target utility customers nationwide.
BILL PAYMENT SCAMMERS will make unsolicited phone calls to utility customers claiming to be a representative of a utility company. Beware of the utility company's phone number appearing on your caller ID through an app using caller ID Spoofing. The scammers will threaten to shut the power off unless a payment is made immediately with a prepaid money card that is purchased at retail stores and local pharmacies; such as Walgreens or CVS. The scammer will ask the customer to call back the card and pin number.
Tips to follow: Do not make any payment to anonymous callers. Try to get the caller's name, phone number and any other related information. Contact Beaches Energy Services' emergency phone number 904-247-6171, and report SCAM phone calls to the police at 904-270-1661.
If you receive an unsolicited phone call and suspect fraud or feel threatened, hang up the phone and call local police, then report it to Beaches Energy at 904-247-6241.
UNSOLICITED ENERGY AUDIT CALLS involve offers of a free home audit. The scammer may call you or just show up at your door without an appointment. They may try to sell energy-related services or equipment. Do not allow someone into your home if you have not initiated the appointment. If you do have an appointment, always ask to see identification.
Beaches Energy Services offers free home energy audits to help you save energy and money. We do not try to sell any type of equipment or service. If you have any questions about energy saving equipment, please contact our Conservation Specialist at 904-247-6241 for free advice.
Being well informed can help you avoid a scam.
- Never provide your social security number, credit card number or banking information to anyone requesting it over the phone or at your home unless you initiated the call and feel confident giving this information.
- Be aware of calls that ask for immediate payment or ask for your credit card or bank account number.
- Don’t ever let strangers into your home, unless you have initiated the service call or energy audit. Always ask for proper identification.
Always use good judgment. If unsure, contact Beaches Energy Services at 904-247-6241.