Utility customers have been receiving scam phone calls that state their power is being turned off for a past due bill and demanding the customer to make payment immediately.
Beaches Energy will never demand instant payment over the phone.
Tips to follow:
- Never provide your social security number, credit card number or banking information to anyone requesting it over the phone or at your home unless you initiated the call and feel confident giving this information.
- If possible, get the caller's name, caller ID and callback number, then hang up and report it to us at 904-247-6241.
- Be aware of calls that ask for immediate payment or ask for your credit card or bank account number.
- Do not send any money or make any payments to anonymous callers
- Contact Beaches Energy Services immediately if you have any questions regarding your utility bill and payment at 904-247-6241.
- Report scam phone calls to your local police department at 904-270-1661.
Learn more about top utility scams.
Common Scams and How to Avoid Them:
Beaches Energy Services wants to make customers aware of scams that frequently target utility customers nationwide.
BILL PAYMENT SCAMMERS will make unsolicited phone calls to utility customers claiming to be a representative of a utility company. Beware of the utility company's phone number appearing on your caller ID through an app using caller ID Spoofing. The scammers will threaten to shut the power off unless a payment is made immediately with a prepaid money card that is purchased at retail stores and local pharmacies; such as Walgreens or CVS. The scammer will ask the customer to call back the card and pin number.
If you receive an unsolicited phone call and suspect fraud or feel threatened, hang up the phone and call local police, then report it to Beaches Energy at 904-247-6241.
UNSOLICITED ENERGY AUDIT CALLS involve offers of a free home audit. The scammer may call you or just show up at your door without an appointment. They may try to sell energy-related services or equipment. Do not allow someone into your home if you have not initiated the appointment. If you do have an appointment, always ask to see identification.
Beaches Energy Services offers free home energy audits to help you save energy and money. We do not try to sell any type of equipment or service. If you have any questions about energy saving equipment, please contact our Conservation Specialist at 904-247-6241 for free advice.
Being well informed can help you avoid a scam. Don’t ever let strangers into your home, unless you have initiated the service call or energy audit. Always ask for proper identification. Always use good judgment. If unsure, contact Beaches Energy Services at 904-247-6241.
Did you know?
Beaches Energy Services is a member of Utilities United Against Scams, more than 100 electric, water, and natural gas companies working with regulators and law enforcement to raise awareness to stop scams targeting utility customers. UUAS and its members have helped to shut down more than 2,200 Toll-Free Numbers used by scammers against utility customers.
Beaches Energy is proud to be a member of UUAS and contribute to the mission of protecting our customers from impostor utility scams. We will continue to help spread awareness of suspicious behaviors and the evolving tactics that scammers use to target customers.