‘Tis the season – to celebrate safely! Make sure your holidays don’t go from merry to scary with these holiday safety tips.
- Inspect your decorations and discard any that are damaged or worn out.
- Buy certified lights. Look for lights with a UL Safety Certification.
- Don’t overload. Use surge protectors when plugging in multiple light strands.
- The Rule of 3. NEVER link together more than three light strands.
- Keep decorations at least three feet away from heat sources – especially those with an open flame, like fireplaces and candles.
- Keep an eye on children and pets who might play with or chew cords.
- Turn everything off before bedtime. Most deadly fires happen while people are asleep. Tip: Install a plug-in timer to automatically switch lights off!
Beware of Scams Around the Holidays
With the holidays right around the corner, scammers will be particularly active this season. Protect yourself and your loved ones by educating each other on common utility phone scams. Click here to learn more.