Pictured: Guana Substation
While last year brought unique challenges and circumstances no one could have predicted, the Beaches community banded together to overcome. As we head into what I hope will be better days for many of our customers and employees, I’d like to take a moment to look back at everything the Beaches Energy team achieved in 2020 to make the year brighter for our customers.
- Waived bulk power cost adjustment fees for 2 months and waived late fees in April, May, June and July, helping lower customers’ utility bills
- Suspended disconnections and increased funding to the CARE Program to help customers facing financial hardship
- Invested in a $5.34M project to upgrade the oldest transformer at Sampson Substation to a new 250 MVA transformer, to provide reliable service to our customers for the next 30 years
- Completed installation of a $4.68M 50 MVA transformer to expand our Guana Substation and provide wider, more reliable service in Ponte Vedra
- Completed our 10-year operational plan to ensure Beaches Energy is properly aligned, staffed and funded to deliver low-cost reliable power and natural gas for the long-term
- Successfully implemented the first #CleanDarkFlat community campaign to support the Beaches Sea Turtle Patrol and educate residents and visitors to our beaches community on sea turtle nesting safety
- Provided mutual aid to communities in Louisiana affected by hurricanes
- Listed as the top-ranked electric utility in the state of Florida and 77th in the nation on the System Average Interruption Duration Index – showing our commitment to providing reliable power for our customers
- Received the 2020 Building Strong Communities Award in recognition of the programs and services we offer in the community
As always, I am so proud of the team at Beaches Energy for meeting every new challenge head-on and delivering results for our customers. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for Beaches Energy and our community in 2021.
Have a safe and happy New Year!
Director of Beaches Energy Services